The courtyard is open to all and serves as a multi-purpose space within the college; it has been the site for gatherings and events, student theatre performances, and a temporary visiting artist-student collaborative installation. The campus is equipped with Wifi throughout the building.
After building completion in 1904, 35 West 67th Street subsequently housed the Swiss Benevolent Society for numerous years.
On the second and third floors are classrooms, meeting rooms, informal gathering spaces, visiting professor offices, the dean's office, and a fully equipped film screening room with traditional movie theater seats for seventy-two viewers.
Also, the building centers on a three-story open-roof, internal courtyard, painted bright red after the college's colors.
Later on, Lehman College, College of Staten Island, and John Jay College were added.
Commonly known as Macaulay Honors College University Scholars Program, its first class graduated in 2005.
However, support for existing honors programs at CUNY colleges amidst institutional opposition resulted in its launch in 2001 as CUNY Honors College in collaboration with a number of CUNY's senior colleges.
Initially, there were five college partners: Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, and Queens Colleges.
Demographic statistics for 2008 showed applications coming from 477 high schools around the nation including 275 different New York City high schools.
New York City's Stuyvesant High School had a 6% increase in applications to Macaulay over the previous year; Bronx Science applications increased by 4.6%.